Back to School: 6 Tips for a Healthy Start
Written by Scripps West Dental
Preventative dentistry in San Diego, California is important for both children and adults. With fall fast approaching and young patients headed to school, many parents are interested in learning more about tips for going back to school—including dental tips for kids. Dr. James P. Tasto and his team at Scripps West Dental in Mira Mesa, San Diego are here to help! We encourage parents to bring their children to the office for a full evaluation and cleaning before they start their next school year!
Dental tips for kids going back to school
Below are just a few of the tips recommended by Dr. James P. Tasto regarding ways to ensure a healthy start this fall:
- Schedule a dental cleaning and examination before school starts. A dentist in Mira Mesa is the only way for patients to achieve a cleaner, healthier smile. Our dental hygienists at Scripps West Dental can remove plaque and tartar from the teeth that cannot be removed at home. A cleaning and evaluation is the first step in achieving better oral health before school begins.
- Take good care of the smile. Between visits, patients will need to brush and floss after every meal to keep the teeth clean. Our dental team can provide an education on how to care for the smile if a child needs more specific directions regarding tooth and gum health.
- Limit sweets and snacks. Sugar can create harmful acids in the mouth and saliva that can damage the natural tooth structures. By limiting the intake of certain foods such as candies and sodas, children have the ability to maintain a healthier smile overall.
- Ask the dentist about extra steps towards protecting the smile. Fluoride treatments and dental sealants may be used to offer an extra layer of protection in the smile that can keep cavities and periodontal disease from forming. These can be applied during routine visits, and we encourage parents to ask about them for their children’s smiles.
- Handle dental emergencies when they happen. If your child is complaining of pain or discomfort, it is vital that you take them into the dental office for an evaluation. Certain conditions such as cavities can become extremely damaging and harmful to the smile if left undiagnosed and untreated.
- Ensure your children are eating healthy. A nutritious diet is not only good for the body, but the smile as well. Limit sweets and increase fruit and vegetable intake to make sure your child is maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet.
What should I do if I suspect my child has a cavity?
Cavities need to be caught early and treated as soon as possible to avoid further problems with the smile. If you suspect that your child may have a cavity, or if it has been a while since your child has seen the dentist, they may be ready for an evaluation and cleaning with Scripps West Dental. Scheduling an appointment is a responsibly that needs to be done to ensure proper care of the smile.
Schedule your child’s back to school dental appointment with our team today
Call our dentist in the Mira Mesa community to schedule an appointment. Our team is conveniently located at 9420 Mira Mesa Boulevard, Suite D and can be reached by calling (858) 293-1007. Dr. James P. Tasto is a family, cosmetic, and laser dentist in the area that offers solutions for new and established patients and families in the community. If you are interested in back to school dental tips and need to schedule yourself or your child for a cleaning and examination, call Scripps West Dental today of San Diego, California.