The many benefits of dental implants
Written by Scripps West Dental
Replacing missing teeth can be achieved with several different options. Dr. James P. Tasto is a dentist in Mira Mesa, CA who is pleased to provide patients with several methods of tooth replacement at Scripps West Dental of San Diego. His practice offers partial dentures, dental bridges, dental implants, and full dentures. Today, we will discuss the benefits of dental implants, a highly recommended tooth replacement option for those missing one or several teeth within the smile.
What is a dental implant?
Dr. James P. Tasto of Scripps West Dental describes the dental implant as a tooth root replacement designed to rest in the jawbone to act as a natural tooth root once did. This post looks like a small hardware screw and is fabricated from titanium, a metal that is biocompatible with the body. It is placed during oral surgery and then restored using various methods depending on the patient’s needs. A dental implant might be covered with a crown, bridge, or denture.
Are dental implants safe for your health?
Because the dental implant is fabricated from a biocompatible metal such as titanium, it is entirely safe. It blends with the body, stimulates bone growth through osseointegration, and is then permanently held in place in the jaw. Patients find that the dental implant restores a missing tooth in a way that doesn’t require daily attention, such as the removal and care of a partial denture or specialized cleaning such as a dental bridge. This makes the dental implant one of the most requested tooth replacement options for patients who visit Dr. James P. Tasto at Scripps West Dental.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
There are several advantages to using dental implants that patients will consider when selecting a tooth replacement option for their smiles. Below are just a few of the benefits that dental implant provide that make them such a popular solution. Dental implants:
- Prevent bone loss. When teeth are lost, it can cause bone resorption, or bone loss, in the jaw underneath. Placing a dental implant will stimulate bone growth and allow patients to keep their implant in place.
- Match the rest of the teeth. The restorations that are placed over the dental implant are made with aesthetics in mind. This means that the crown, bridge, or denture utilized with the implant or implants is made with ceramic that mimics the look of natural tooth enamel.
- Restore the natural bite force. Eating foods requires you to have solid and stable teeth. With dental implants, these restorations are just as stable and sturdy as natural teeth to allow for effective biting and chewing.
- Prevent changes to the facial shape and structure. Other dental replacement options such as dentures and bridges do not prevent bone loss of the jaw, resulting in a change in the facial shape around the mouth, jaw, and chin area. With the placement of dental implants, most patients can alleviate these concerns and maintain a more youthful appearance.
- Enable natural function. Because the implant fuses with the bone of the jaw, it can allow patients to continue to enjoy the natural function of the smile for eating and speaking.
- Are not susceptible to cavities. The dental implant is a fake tooth and is not vulnerable to cavities. However, patients with dental implants should still see their dentist regularly to monitor oral health and wellness.
- Are simple to care for. Patients do not need to spend special time and attention caring for their dental implants. Just brushing and flossing as normal is suggested, and regular dental visits are essential.
Is it worth getting dental implants?
Many patients find that the investment in dental implants is a smart choice for their smiles. This is because of the longevity of implants and their functionality!
Find a dentist in Mira Mesa that offers dental implant placement and restoration