When you visit Scripps West Dental for your regular check-up, you will undergo a dental exam performed by your dental hygienist and dentist.
– Every dental exam in Mira Mesa, San Diego includes several steps to check for signs or symptoms that may indicate dental concerns:
– X-rays to detect decay, tumors, cysts, bone loss, and tooth and root positioning.
– Oral cancer screenings to check the entire head, neck, and mouth for signs of oral cancer.
– A thorough gum disease evaluation to assess the health of the gums and bone around your teeth.
– Examination of the tooth surfaces to check for decay, evaluate the condition of fillings and crowns, and establish overall condition of the teeth.
Once this examination is complete, your dentist and dental hygienist will determine whether your oral health necessitates a preventative dental cleaning, also called a dental prophylaxis, or whether interventional periodontal therapy is necessary.
Your Mira Mesa, San Diego Dentist may recommend that a dental prophylaxis, or dental cleaning be performed when there is no evidence of gum disease to accomplish the following:
– To remove plaque, which is the sticky substance that can inflame the gums and cause decay.
– To remove tartar, the hardened plaque that leads to advanced periodontal disease if left unchecked.
– To polish the teeth, removing stains and brightening your smile.
It is absolutely essential to visit your dentist at minimum every six months for a dental exam and dental cleaning in Mira Mesa, San Diego. Without these regular preventative visits to your dentist, you run the risk of developing cavities, gum disease, and other serious problems that are much easier to resolve when caught early.